You are reading the article How To Fix Disk Cleanup Not Working In Windows 11 updated in September 2023 on the website Happystarlongbien.com. We hope that the information we have shared is helpful to you. If you find the content interesting and meaningful, please share it with your friends and continue to follow and support us for the latest updates. Suggested October 2023 How To Fix Disk Cleanup Not Working In Windows 11
The Disk Cleanup utility tool in Windows 11 is a nifty system-cleaning tool that helps users delete junk, temporary, and other unused files to clear out storage. Although Microsoft integrated most of the Disk Cleanup features into the Windows Settings app, it continues to remain a legacy app for Windows users.
However, we have seen various reports from Windows 11 users, mentioning that they are facing issues with the Disk Cleanup tool on their PC or laptop. So, in this article, we have listed some of the best fixes that you can try when the Disk Cleanup tool stops working in Windows 11.
Fix Disk Cleanup Not Working in Windows 11
Before we proceed further, let us take a look at some of the possible causes that can prevent the Disk Cleanup tool to open or function in Windows 11. These include issues in system files, viruses or malware in your system, bugs or glitches in Windows 11, misconfigured Windows settings, and many other issues.
The good news is that no matter what the issue is, you can try out the below solutions to fix the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 11. So, let’s get into the list, shall we?
1. Restart Your Windows 11 PC or Laptop
Starting with the most obvious and generic solutions, you can simply restart your Windows 11 PC or laptop when the Disk Cleanup tool stops working. A quick restart closes all background programs and clears the RAM in Windows 11.
Hence, if a background process or a third-party program is preventing the Disk Cleanup tool to open in Windows 11, restarting your PC or laptop might just be the quickest way to get it up and running again.
2. Run SFC Scan in Windows 11
As mentioned before, issues in system files can cause issues in the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 11 and prevent it to work. In this case, you can try running the trusty System File Checker (SFC) scan in Windows 11 to replace or fix missing/ corrupt system files on your PC or laptop.
For those unaware, the SFC scan is a command-line tool in Windows 11 that helps fix various system-level issues. Here’s how you can run an SFC scan on your Windows device.
1. Use Windows + S to open Windows search.
3. Once the Command Prompt opens, type in the following command and press Enter:sfc /scannow
4. After the SFC scan finishes, restart your Windows 11 device.
Following the restart, try running the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 11. If an issue in the system files was causing the Windows utility tool to malfunction, it should be fixed now. However, if you are still facing the issue with Disk Cleanup in your system, check out the next fix right away!
3. Run DISM Scans in Windows 11
Much like the SFC scan, the DISM or the Deployment Image Servicing and Management scans are a set of command-line tools that helps fix issues in Windows disk images, in turn fixing issues in system programs like the Disk Cleanup tool.
Hence, there is a high chance that running the DISM scans in Windows 11 might just help you fix the issues with the Disk Cleanup tool on your device. So, to run the DISM scans in Windows 11, follow the steps right below:
2. In the Command Prompt tool, type in the following commands and press Enter:DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
3. Start with the first command and wait for the tool to finish before you move on to the next one. DO NOT put all the above commands together in Command Prompt.
4. Once the DISM scans are complete, restart your Windows 11 PC or laptop.
Following the restart, try running the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 11. If it still does not work, proceed to the next solution.
4. Use Windows Storage Sense in Windows 11
Now, this one is not a solution per se. The Windows Storage Sense is merely an alternative for the Disk Cleanup in Windows 11. It is essentially an integrated utility tool in Windows 11 that automatically scans your system for junk and temporary files that deletes them from the system.
Storage Sense is turned on by default in Windows 11. However, if the Storage Sense utility is disabled on your Windows 11 PC or laptop for some reason, follow the steps below to turn it on.
1. Use the Windows + I shortcut to open the Settings app in Windows 11.
2. Under the System tab, go to the Storage menu.
The Storage Sense is a handy utility tool in Windows 11 and is a great alternative to the Disk Cleanup tool. So, if you are facing some issues with the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 11, we’d recommend you enable Storage Sense in Windows 11.
5. Restart Windows Explorer in Windows 11
Now, another thing you can try when the Disk Cleanup tool stops working in Windows 11 is restarting the Windows Explorer background process on your device. The Windows Explorer process is responsible for handling various system functions and programs and restarting it could fix any minor issues or conflicts that might be causing the Disk Cleanup tool to malfunction. So, to restart Windows Explorer in Windows 11, follow the steps right below.
2. Under the Processes Tab, find the Windows Explorer process on the list. You can also use the new search UI in Task Manager to find the process.
After restarting the Windows Explorer process in Windows 11, try opening the Disk Cleanup tool. It should function properly, considering an issue in Windows Explorer was causing the program to malfunction.
6. Scan for Viruses/ Malware in Windows 11
As aforementioned, the Disk Cleanup tool not opening in Windows 11 might be because of a virus or malware in the system. In this case, you can use the built-in Windows Security tool to scan your PC or laptop for threat actors that might be causing issues in system apps. To use the Windows Security tool to scan for viruses in Windows, follow the steps right below:
1. Use the Windows + S shortcut to open the Windows search.
3. Now, select the Virus and threat protection tab on the side navigation bar.
6. Now, the Windows Security tool will scan your entire device for virus/ malware-laden files or apps. You might need to delete third-party apps that you have downloaded from the internet.
7. After deleting the threat programs, restart your Windows 11 PC or laptop.
Following the restart, open the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 11 and check whether it is working properly. If it does, then there surely was a virus or malware that was causing the issue. If, however, it does not, try the next solution.
Bugs and glitches in Windows updates might sometimes prevent the Disk Cleanup tool to open or work in Windows 11. In this case, you can check if there is a new Windows update available for your device and update your PC or laptop right away. To check for updates in Windows 11, follow the steps below:
1. Use the Windows + I shortcut to open the Settings app.
4. After the updates are installed, restart your Windows 11 PC or laptop.
Following the restart, check if the issue with the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 11 has been fixed or not. At this point, the issue should be fixed and the Disk Cleanup utility tool should work properly on your Windows device.
8. Delete Temporary Files Manually in Windows 11
Now, the last thing you can try to fix the Disk Cleanup tool not opening in Windows 11 issue is removing the temporary files in your system manually. To do this, follow the steps right below:
1. Press the Windows + R shortcut to open the Run tool in Windows 11.
2. In the text field, type in “%temp%” (without quotes) and press Enter. This will open up the Temp folder in Windows 11.
4. After deletion, restart your Windows 11 device.
Following the restart, open the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 11 and check whether it is working properly.
How to access Disk Cleanup in Windows 11?
You can access the Disk Cleanup utility tool in Windows 11 by simply searching for it in Windows search.
Is Disk Cleanup available in Windows 11?
Yes, the Disk Cleanup app continues to remain as a legacy program in Windows 11 that is available to all users.
Why is Disk Cleanup not opening in Windows 11?
The Disk Cleanup utility tool not opening in Windows 11 issue can be caused by various factors such as misconfigured settings, conflicting background processes, viruses/ malware, and many others.
What is the best alternative for Disk Cleanup in Windows 11?
You're reading How To Fix Disk Cleanup Not Working In Windows 11
Update the detailed information about How To Fix Disk Cleanup Not Working In Windows 11 on the Happystarlongbien.com website. We hope the article's content will meet your needs, and we will regularly update the information to provide you with the fastest and most accurate information. Have a great day!